Thursday 10 November 2011

Pique Nique


Pique Nique
I wonder.. how many of you people have actually heard/seen this place? Show of hands? Well for those of you who didn't know, this might just be the eatery you people have walked past without going into.
From the outside, one would definitely be drawn into a mental state of wanting to enter the restaurant. With its slightly higher value-looking designs, the stark contrast set before your eyes as KFC tries to stand tall next to it only failing in turn to elevate the unspoken welcome note "Pique Nique" has to portray. Having a very vibrant array of colourful desserts certainly helps bring in customers who're easily dazzled by rainbows.
The menu features most foods one would expect of a normal western restaurant. Like many of the little joints such as handburger, freshness burger and sorts; the dishes present include burgers, pastas, hotdogs and a dessert frenzy. I must say, the menu's design was very much themed with the restaurant. Like that of a present, it certainly gives one the feel of a toy/candy factory in some ethereal wonderland. Dreamy huh?

Orders:
I was in no mood to order any desserts since I've had my mind set for some mac' N cheese from this here joint. They did have it up really large on their chalkboard that the mac' N cheese was supposedly good. So why not, right? Since I'm such a cheese lover, the one that caught my eye just so happens to be the cheesiest of em all. Forgive me for not being a glutton and trying all them mac' N cheeses and what not. I just thought that I needed to control Mr. Tummy down there for abit that week.
All Star Mac' N Cheese
I've always been a fan of mac' N cheese since I was a wee lad, always making sure I got my tastebuds satisfied on a weekly basis on this particular dish. Thus, I would definitely say that my skills in determining a proper flavour is one to believe with an iron trust. So this here... is the "All-Star Mac' N Cheese". Elbow macaroni cooked with 5 different cheeses. Just a little insight for those cheese lovers out there... let's talk CHEESE! :)

The Cheese involved, namely..
1) Blue Cheese.
Blue Cheese
I'm sure by now everyone or anyone who has walked into a hotel buffet or in the least a western restaurant should be aware of its existence. The blue cheese is by far one of the more pungent cheeses comparable to the goat's cheese. It is an acquired taste, one that I thoroughly enjoy at that. Goes well with crackers and biscuits and it won't shy next to a spot of tea. My favourite cheese by far! :)


2) Monterey Jack Cheese.
Monterey Jack Cheese
It's very interesting this piece of cheese. Semi-hard cheese made from cow's milk, the cheese comes with different variants. Peppers may be added to enhance the flavour of the cheese. It is also used as a substitute for parmesan cheese on pasta and risottos. 


3) Mascarpone.
Mascarpone Cheese
I would say, this cheese probably is like Philadelphia cheese. Smooth and creamy white, the cheese has a light flavour close to that of eating a nice cross between whipped cream and milk. Delish!


4) Gouda Cheese.
Gouda Cheese
My second choice to the blue cheese. This one is slightly chewy like part rubber and has a very strong aroma. Delicious with crackers and sorts, this cheese is good with a spot of white wine to go. 


and 5) Cheddar Cheese.
Shredded Cheddar Cheese
We all know what this cheese is. Everyone who's ever had a cheese dish or the sorts would know of the hard cheese used very commonly to attract mice like Brie. However, unlike Brie the Cheddar boasts the strongest flavour amongst all general cheeses and usually breaks off in small blocks. It can be eaten just as it is. I would say it is the public cheese. Perfect for general representation. *claps*


Now, one would think... how do all these cheeses mix well in a dish to form the sticky counterpart to the macaroni? A mix of 5 cheeses with conflicting scents and tastes would eventually blend well? As much as I would like to commend the chef on his/her cooking, I simply cannot. Perhaps the chef was lazy or in more possible terms, it is a failed attempt at combining the different cheeses. Unless the customer is content with having different 'surprise' tastes with every spoonful, this dish is not satisfying. I had to order a drink to cover the unbalanced tastes rolling around in my mouth. Imagine tasting blue cheese and cheddar in the first spoon then tasting gouda and monterey jack in the next. It's not a game of guess the cheese mix y'know?
Mac' N Cheese is a dish I believe must have a single cheese taste brilliant enough to couple itself with well-cooked macaroni(elbow or not). It must not have a different feel with every bite and must not get old on the tongue. The chef's dish displeased me as it failed in both expectations of excellence. This just goes to show that the dish was not properly understood and lost the personal touch to commercialization of the food market. Poor attitude and respect for food. *shakes head*
Even when I tried to lighten up by getting a nice drink from them, their supposed hot chocolate was out of stock. The time then? 8:30pm. It's far from closing time, why would your signature drink be sold out already? So I had no choice but to order a fountain apple drink. Nothing much to say since it came from a brand that's sold in the supermarts. Here it is...

Fountain Apple Drink
Didn't impress... but it was by far the better tasting of the two. hmm.

Ambiance: The design of the place on the outside was superb. You cannot ask for anything more to attract a vast crowd into the place. Though the insides look good at first glance, one would start to notice the sheer imbalance of the place. No, this has nothing to do with me hating on the mac' n cheese. The place adopts 4 different styles in total which in my opinion is too much of a theme distraction. What theme can conjure 4 different styles? That's more like wish-wash designing if you ask me.

Wall
It's really not very impressive and I didn't very much understand the meaning of those present-like boxes under the tree-looking centre pillar. Is it Christmas here? The milk cans are fine on the wall but they do look rather dull after a good 30 minutes. The other designs include different chairs and tables.
From single wooden round tables with 2 chairs to a white square table surrounded by maroon cushions. Don't get me started on the couches they have further right and the weird jungle table they have behind. Creative lights to match the jungle table but really not quite the right feel eh? It just confuses the customers and the feelings they have of the place. Bad choice, mate!

Shakers
These salt and pepper shakers look cute enough though. I give a like to this small part of the table arrangement. Well done for this choice. :)

Overview: I wouldn't really want to go back there if they did not have such vibrant colours surrounding their desserts and that soft spot I have for hot chocolate. They'd better be right about boasting their hot chocolate! Well, I must say this review is solely based on the tasting of their mac' N cheese. Not something I would recommend. I would rate them 5/10. Not that I just want to let them pass but I could've given them a 4 had they not placed those cute little shakers on my table.
I'm not at all impressed with the messy blend of cheeses. Still quite disappointed though. Perhaps Mr/Ms Chef could try to better understand the cheeses and make it better the next time I try it out?

Hint: I find 2 strong smelling cheeses should never try to clash with each other.


Address: 

Pique Nique
#B1-01/02, Takashimaya
Ngee Ann City Tower A
391A Orchard Road

T: +65 6238 6705
Opening hours: 10am - 9:30pm Daily


Well, this isn't a positive review isn't it? Don't expect good reviews from me all the time. I did say I was a food critique! Oh well... till next time, 


"wash your hands before you eat!"

[P.S: Visit my other site, "http://kinoshita-masayoshi.blogspot.com/" for easier browsing and additional lifestyle posts. Also, I've added a counter on the sidebar. Too bad it reset and started from 1 this morning. Grr! No biggie on that, as long as you people Enjoy! :)]

No comments:

Post a Comment